RE: NTLK NTlk Connection

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 10:40:37 EST

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Mike Hellers wrote:
> "Marco Mailand" wrote:
> > "Michael J. Hussmann" wrote:
> > > At home, I use a 3Com ISDN router (Personal LAN
> > > Modem) for internet access; my Macs and my Newtons (one at a time, since
> > > they have to take shares in a single Farallon card) are connected to the
> > > router, which doubles up as a 4 port hub. This way, Mac and Newton can
> > > access the internet simultaneously.
> > I'm close to realize such a solution too. Is there anything out which
> > does not need ISDN but can route the analogue internet access to an
> > ethernet?
>
> The cheapest solution would be to find a stupid old PC with an Ethernet card
> and a modem. Install Linux on it, configure it (which should not be very
> difficult) and off you are.
> You might even not need an harddisk at all for the PC, since there are
> several Linux distribution which fit on one or 2 floppy disks, and where the
> main goal is even to "convert" your PC into a nicely working Router.
> With the advantage, that if you want to move to ISDN later, you will simply
> have to
...install the appropriate card?

If you feel like doing this Marco (and I suggest you do - it's cheap and
easy) check out the Linux Router project:

http://www.linuxrouter.org

And if you have any problems, just give me a yell - I am known as a Linux
guru around these parts :)

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!