RE: NTLK NTlk Connection

From: Mike Hellers (mike@hellers.lu)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 09:19:43 EST

Hi Marco

"Marco Mailand" wrote:
> "Michael J. Hussmann" wrote:
> > At home, I use a 3Com ISDN router (Personal LAN
> > Modem) for internet access; my Macs and my Newtons (one at a time, since
> > they have to take shares in a single Farallon card) are connected to the
> > router, which doubles up as a 4 port hub. This way, Mac and Newton can
> > access the internet simultaneously.
> I'm close to realize such a solution too. Is there anything out which
> does not need ISDN but can route the analogue internet access to an
> ethernet?

The cheapest solution would be to find a stupid old PC with an Ethernet card
and a modem. Install Linux on it, configure it (which should not be very
difficult) and off you are.
You might even not need an harddisk at all for the PC, since there are
several Linux distribution which fit on one or 2 floppy disks, and where the
main goal is even to "convert" your PC into a nicely working Router.
With the advantage, that if you want to move to ISDN later, you will simply
have to

Regards,
       ...mike

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the