Re: NTLK Web Browsing on an MP2k

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 00:30:30 EST

On 3/15/2000 9:27 PM, Stephen Beesley [mailto:sjbeesley@yahoo.com.au]
wrote:

>I am thinking of trading in my MP130 for a 2100 and
>wonder what the browsing experience on a 2100 is like.

Completely different from your experience on a desktop PC. It's pretty
much text only; you can do graphics, but you generally don't want to.

>In particular I am wondering about the screen size. I
>seem to recall that he 2100 screen is about 480 x 320
>pixles, whereas most web pages are at least 640 pixles
>across.

Some web page designers (stupid ones) design their pages for a fixed
size, but SMALLER sizes generally work OK. Since frames are either not
handled at all or handled differently, you won't see the same thing on
your Newton as you do on your desktop, generally. The closest you may
come is with LunaSuite, but I get the impression that it's so buggy most
people don't use it.

 Does that mean that you are up for a lot of
>scrolling around.

Not really, no. Web pages generally adapt to your screen size. To see
what I mean, look at http://www.info-newt.com/ with your desktop web
browser

Then shrink or grow the window by dragging the size box in the lower
righthand corner. Notice how the divider lines between days shrink and
grow with the window and the text?

Some web sites do tend to fix their size using frames, but those sites
generally either can deal with smaller pages or won't even load on your
Newton browser.

> I am also looking at the option of
>moving to a Psion which has a 640 x 240 and can
>display the entire width of a web page.

Again, web pages are generally not designed around a specific page width.

>However, I
>really love the form factor and HWR of the 2100 as a
>note taking device so the Psion is my second choice.
>
>Another concern is that I remember reading somewhere
>that the Newton is limited to speeds of 9600K
>internally, which would make for pretty slow surfing.

Dunno about that; I doubt it. I've connected to my ISP at 14.4k before;
and I think at 28.8 (by the time he got 56K going I had an ADSL
connection and was connecting using Ethernet instead of a modem).

It's definitely slower than a desktop browser, even with ADSL, though.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!