Re: NTLK Ethernet/Modem Combo Card

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 01:29:26 EST

On 12 Mar 2000, Randy Ransom wrote:

> I'd like to get an ethernet/modem combo card for my soon-to-be-arriving
> eMate (thanks Robert!), and I was wondering if there were specific things
> to look for in a card which isn't explicitly listed in the FAQ or on the
> Newton Resources page. I was thinking that since there's a driver for the
> D-Link ethernet card, it was a good candidate. Any info you could provide
> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

...except the D-Link isn't a combo card. If you can find one of the TDK
"Global Freedom" cards (DFL series) they should work good, unfortunately
they are very hard to find and very expensive. If you don't use the modem
often (or if you only plan to use it for e-mail) you could get away with
getting an older 14.4 modem and pairing it with a D-Link or what have you.
It's really not *that* hard to swap cards in and out.

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!