Re: NTLK Ethernet/Modem Combo Card

From: Randy Ransom (randysom@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 02:51:38 EST

On Sun, Mar 12, 2000 10:29 PM, Victor Rehorst
<mailto:victor@gear.torque.net> wrote:
> ...except the D-Link isn't a combo card. If you can find one of the TDK
> "Global Freedom" cards (DFL series) they should work good, unfortunately
> they are very hard to find and very expensive. If you don't use the
modem
> often (or if you only plan to use it for e-mail) you could get away with
> getting an older 14.4 modem and pairing it with a D-Link or what have
you.
> It's really not *that* hard to swap cards in and out.

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that since there is a driver available
for the D-Link ethernet card, I was hoping that it would also work with
another D-Link card, an ethernet/modem combo card. This got me wondering if
there was anything in the specs of a combo card (or ethernet only card for
that matter) that flagged it as likely to work with an existing driver.
What caught my eye initally about the D-Link was that several vendors
listed on shopper.com have the DE660CT (which I assume would have a very
good chance of working with the DE660 driver) for under $50. I was just
thinking that I might save some wear and tear on the PCMCIA port by getting
a combo card instead of swapping cards all the time. I'm not _that_ lazy.
:) Then again, given the price differential between combo cards and
ethernet only and modem only cards, I might just go with separate cards
after all. Thanks for your suggestions!

-- Randy

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!