Re: NTLK Check this out - homemade clearcase MP2K

From: J F Wiederhirn (jwiede@biff.com)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 05:06:21 EST

At 10:41 PM 3/10/2000 -0600, Matt Garrison wrote:
>>Sorry to burst any bubbles out there but I have seen this newton, or at
>>least one like it 3 years ago. All Newton prototypes were made in clear
>>plastic. I have a 110 that is clear. It was given to me by a friend of
>>mine at Apple. The Japanese arn't innovating their just copying.
>
>You're forgetting one important note: the pictures were of an MP2000, not
>a 110. There have never been previous reports of anything like this in
>the 2000 series (at least to my knowledge). There were clear OMP/100's,
>110's (the most widely available), and I think a very few 130's. Please
>note that these weren't prototypes; they were publicly released! I also
>recall hearing about something like mauve MP2x00's, but certainly not
>clear. And I can't forget the black eMate...

All Newtons have clear-case prototypes. Also, there wasn't enough of the
label shown to see whether or not it was a prototype unit or not. Further,
not all clear-case Newtons are prototypes. The clear 110s for example, were
specfically done as a production run to give away to high muckity-mucks.

The clear prototype thing is actually widely used all over. A guy down the
hall from me when I was at SGI had a clear-case O2. It has to do with the
limited material selection for prototyping case designs. Most colored
plastics require injection molding, which requires very expensive injection
molds. Obviously, before a design gets committed to steel injection molds,
a number of prototype non-injection-molded cases are run off, almost
always using clear polyurethane or similar material.

jfw

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!