RE: NTLK Lookout 1.1

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 18:33:15 EST

Okay...Some perspective.

1. Kenneth Wong has been, over the years, one of the most prolific
contributors of time and energy to this list, and the Newton
community...period.

2. The software authors have been contacted, in various forms, repeatedly;
by Kenneth, by me, and by other Newtonians. In some cases, they didn't want
to talk about it (Quit wasting my bandwidth here, it's *DEAD*). In other
cases, SeamLess participants were going to check with the members of the
dissolved partnership to see if the code could be reassembled and released
publicly. After hearing nothing on this, these same folk were pinged, only
to find they had moved elsewhere with no forwarding address and no way to
re-establish contact. The prevalent feeling, from all the contacts reported
was "that's the past of which I could care less, don't bother me".

3. If there was a place to PAY for the software, countless folks would
have, and have offered to, even unsupported. But there is no place to pay,
their domain is vacant, and the personnel are scattered to the four winds.
I've spent hours on the telephone trying to track down even one of these
guys with no luck at all.

4. There is a definite need for this software, or a reasonable facsimile
thereof, in the Newton community. But we are a community of vanishing
resources, the existing commercial developers having frozen their product
lines with no new developments for the Newtons (with a few *very* notable
exceptions), and the newer developers without the resources/time/experience
to be able to cobble up a replacement without a massive effort for little to
no economic return. The only existing alternative has never worked for most
folks, and has never been particularly "supported", although payment was
sent, and it was not cheap!

5. The Newton community, as a whole, has always been vehemently supportive
of their developers, attacking people who asked for serial numbers and/or
"hacks" and/or "warez" for active Newton software like rabid dogs. I know,
I'm one of the most notorious roasters...and so is Kenneth! There was one
guy who produced hacks for active Newton software and was so roundly and
universally castigated for his actions he abandoned the platform altogether.
  Lookout cannot be considered, in any shape, way, or form, "active"
software.

6. As this platform dies (and unfortunately, it will eventually barring
some "white knight" action by a sympathetic or particularly insightful
vendor), what was once black and white will blur to shades of gray.
Resources will be concentrated on particular issues where there are no
alternatives, as it has to be. Existing alternatives will be examined,
reused, restructured, and reused again. This is the only way to prolong the
life of a totally orphaned platform. It's sometimes ugly, sometimes
questionable, but if you want to continue to use it, this is what your gonna
have to do.

7. Some of the existing developers are aware of the plight and the issues
surrounding this software and company. They have also concurred that this
is probably the only way to go.

8. It is a "slippery slope", agreed. If it were, any any sense of the
word, "active" software, I would wholeheartedly agree with your position,
and have subscribed to it in the past, and will in the future. But this
*particular* situation is different, due to the massive effort that was
mounted, the complete indifference of the authors, the death of the company,
the lack of a place to pay for it, and the need of the community.

Nobody is trying to set precedent here, they're just trying to get their
work done with the tool of their choice, even though it has been orphaned.
We, as a community (probably the highest concentration of Newton users left)
have tried repeatedly, in good faith, to "do the right thing". And we will
continue to struggle with these same issues for years to come, as our circle
of fellows becomes smaller and smaller and resources become more difficult
to find.

You use the word "stealing"...but I ask, from who? The authors have
indicated that they have no interest in the software anymore. Theft if a
crime with victims, people that suffer some loss as a result of the crime,
but I see no victims or losses here. You have stated your position in pure
black and white, as did I when I was very young and idealistic. But, as I
get older and my experience grows, what used to be a vast expanse of black
and white separated by an exceedingly thin stripe of gray in the center has,
very gradually, changed where the thin gray line has widened and taken
shades from dark gray to almost white. Today, there are a few things IMO,
but just a few, that are *absolutely* bad/evil or *absolutely* good. Most
everything else is some lighter or darker shade of non-white that I
constantly have to decide what I will tolerate...my "ethical boundaries", as
it were.

So, in this particular situation, with this particular software, at this
particular point in time, I think each individual user will have to look
into him or her self to find the right answer.

And I say this as a software engineer and vendor who has NEVER had his
"ethical boundaries" questioned. :)

Regards,

Gary
(formerly Mr. Anonymous)

BTW: Sorry for the length of this diatribe! My $3.27 worth!