NTLK Sharing the connection with a Mac

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 10:06:20 CDT

Hi Folks,

here are some results.

As said in the FAQ, connecting to the Internet both the Newton and
the Mac using IPNR works.
While LocalTalk did not work because of MacOS 9, Ethernet connection did.

The network was:

Newton <-> Hub <-> Internet
                     ^-> Mac

The Mac used the DHCP and the Newton used Ethernet connection,
manual, local IP 192.168.0.2, Gateway IP 192.168.0.1, DNS
192.168.0.1. The Mac had IPNR, with DNS forwarding enabled.

Unfortunately, the websharing with NPDS did not work, and I modified
the tracker for nothing. (if anyone is interested in a tracker client
where one can change the public IP of the Newton, especially Paul Lim
who seems to have this problem, contact me).

This is just because the translation cannot be done with a single Ethernet.

I also tried Ethertalk, but NetHopper threw a bad error at me (maybe
because of the dead serial connector), and I guess that no, it is not
possible.

Best regards,

Paul

--