Re: NTLK MP 130 Backlight

From: Bill Davis (billdavis@info-newt.com)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 01:57:00 CDT

On 7/13/00 1:23 PM, Benjamin Weaver [mailto:avenir@mac.com] wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I recently purchased a MessagePad 130 and everything works
>beautifully on it except the backlight, which has only flickered
>briefly twice in the past two weeks, presumably just to taunt me.
>Does anyone on her know where I could get it fixed, or how? I have
>called Apple and they quoted $175 for parts and labor, and I have to
>ship it to Memphis, TN. Any other suggestions?
>
>Aloha,
>
>Benjamin Weaver
>avenir@mac.com
>www.avenirex.com

This may not help you....but just in case.... you DO know how to activate
the backlight, right? It does NOT come on when you turn on the MP130,
normally.

You have to HOLD DOWN the power switch for a few seconds when you turn on
the Newton, rather than releasing it immediately, in order for the
backlight to come on. It will then stay on until you turn the Newton
off. There are also packages out there that will let you set an option
to have it come on at startup automatically; I think they work with a 130.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/