Re: NTLK Newton comparisons (Why doesn't everyone like their viso rs/palms)

From: Prentiss.Gray@gecits.ge.com
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 10:32:05 CDT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:36:08 +0200, Michael J. Hussmann wrote:
>I have an MP2100, an eMate 300, and a Visor Deluxe, and the
>unit I use most of the time is, surprisingly, the eMate -- the biggest
>Newton ever made.

and then...

Michael Manthey wrote:
>what's good about the Psion, is the integrated keyboard
>(amazing gadget, that), the desktop-connectivity of its office apps and
>the size - it's somewhat smaller than the Newton, less than half its
>weight (253 gr) and yes: it runs just about as long on a set of two (!)
>alcalines.

I may be unfairly imagining this, but are keyboards a sub theme here? I like
keyboards, but it makes me wonder if it is input devices that are the great
challenge to PDA development? This brought back thoughts of my original Zeos
pocket PC. That had a great keyboard and was still compact. You could
actually "touch type" on it. I have a weakness for keyboards in that I can
type, even at my depressing rate, faster than I can write. Most pda
keyboards are not worth mentioning, nasty "chicklet" deals. I thought a
lot about voice input, but that would be both annoying and embarrassing to
be "dictating" in the midst of a meeting. I have often thought that the
keys and mini joysticks they put on pdas are a good idea. Having to pull
out the stylus every time you want something is a pain. I am always tempted
to use my fingers instead.

Has any one else looked at the Twiddler? It is a one hand input device that
lets gives you access to a full keyboard by utilizing a combinations of
several keys. Sounds complicated, right. It is, however it is also used by
fighter pilots to input data. They are a pretty busy bunch so there must be
some facility to it. Once again the price has held me back, it was about
$200.

I don't mean to wander too far afield, I just like to "ask the experts"
about various PDA features. All part of my master plan for selecting my
next PDA. The central goal of my plan? Not to feel like a jerk for at
least 6 months after I buy it. I hear more and more good things about the
Psions.
Prentiss S. N. Gray
Senior Systems Engineer
GE Capital - Information Technology Solutions

Voice 973 889 2066
FAX 973 993 5597