Re: NTLK Newton comparisons (Why doesn't everyone like their viso rs/palms)

From: Michael Manthey (Michael_Manthey@MagicVillage.de)
Date: Thu Jul 06 2000 - 00:00:08 CDT

On Wed, 05 Jul 2000 17:32:05 +0200, Prentiss S. N. Gray wrote:

>I don't mean to wander too far afield, I just like to "ask the experts"
>about various PDA features. All part of my master plan for selecting my
>next PDA. The central goal of my plan? Not to feel like a jerk for at
>least 6 months after I buy it. I hear more and more good things about the
>Psions.

Intriguing what you say about the "Twiddler". Never saw one, but I assume
it is meant to give one-hand-control?
Research into the way we control our PDA's will probably have a spin-off
effect for all sorts of devices: cars, phones, TV, the familiar desktop PC
and so on. It's funny that the Newton is still so advanced in a time when
information technol0gy seems to explode by the month. The trick will be to
combine the speed of keyboard input with the intuitive gestures of writing
and pointing and to devise an appropriate interface. What we see at the
moment is pioneer work and there are not many satisfactory solutions: my
guess is that we'll see innovation coming in a new generation of
mobile/PDA devices; that's the real big market (my impression from CEBIT
this year).

Michael

Sent by:
Michael Manthey
Melatenguertel 92
50823 Koeln - Cologne
Germany
Tel. +49 221 5107445
using Eudora Pro on Newton MessagePad 2000.