Re: NTLK Ethernet help required

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 02:24:20 EST

On 2/22/2000 1:49 AM, Christopher Browne [mailto:irie@attglobal.net]
wrote:

>I have a Power Macintosh 7220/200 (similar to a Power Mac 4400) running
>Mac OS 8.0. It is connected to a large Ethernet network. It also runs
>LocalTalk Bridge software which I use to connect my upgraded MP2000 to the
>Mac over LocalTalk (while the Mac remains connected to the rest of the
>network over Ethernet). I use this connection both for communication
>between the Mac and the Newton (NCU, Package Installer, X-port) and to
>print from the Newton to the network printers.
>
>On the Mac side, the AppleTalk control panel is set to connect via
>Ethernet. The LocalTalk Bridge control panel is activated.

First thing: Get rid of the LocalTalk Bridge. You don't need it anymore
anyway if your Newton has an Ethernet card and it's probably confusing
things.

> The problem has remained when
>connecting the Newton using DHCP and also when using a fixed IP address
>given to me by the network guys. If I revert to my LocalTalk set up, the
>connection from Newton to Mac is successful.

DHCP and IP addresses have absolutely nothing to do with AppleTalk or
NCU. Those are for TCP/IP network, not Appletalk. Completely
difference, unrelated protocols, although both run over Ethernet. The
only time they'd come into play would be if you were using NetHopper or
an email program or something.

>What am I doing wrong? My attempt to get a successful ethernet connection
>at work is a prelude to setting up a home ethernet network so I can connect
>my Newton to my new iMac. All suggestions welcome.

First thing I'd do is remove the Localtalk bridge from your Mac. Don't
turn it off, REMOVE IT (or at least disable the control panel with
Extension manager and reboot).

If necessary, take your Mac and Newton OFF the large network and see if
they work by themselves (consult your Newton Ethernet card manual about
proper cabling, you might need a crossover cable somewhere if your
network is just the Mac and Newton.)

I use that card successfully, and a 595 as well, all the time, on my
2100.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com