NTLK Ethernet help required

From: Christopher Browne (irie@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 02:49:02 EST

I have a Power Macintosh 7220/200 (similar to a Power Mac 4400) running
Mac OS 8.0. It is connected to a large Ethernet network. It also runs
LocalTalk Bridge software which I use to connect my upgraded MP2000 to the
Mac over LocalTalk (while the Mac remains connected to the rest of the
network over Ethernet). I use this connection both for communication
between the Mac and the Newton (NCU, Package Installer, X-port) and to
print from the Newton to the network printers.

On the Mac side, the AppleTalk control panel is set to connect via
Ethernet. The LocalTalk Bridge control panel is activated.

I have a Farallon PN895 ethernet PC card and Etherwave minihub. I have
loaded the drivers and installed the card (as Victor so helpfully set out).
The card is recognised by the Newton on insertion. Once the card is
inserted, I select the "Use card for AppleTalk" box. In the Newton
Preferences, I check that I have selected "Connect using EtherTalk" and the
card is shown as "Farallon Enet PC Card". At this point the minihub shows
signs of activity and the connection works well enough for me to send print
jobs from the Newton to the network printers over the ethernet card to hub
connection (the usual LocalTalk connection not being in place). The Mac
also works successfully through the hub, connecting to the main servers and
printers

My problems arise when I attempt to communicate between the Newton and the
Mac over the ethernet connection. Using both Package Installer and NCU, an
attempted connection fails with the message that the Macintosh cannot be
located on the network. When I select"Other computer", the Mac is shown as
available on the network but, when I select it from the list and attempt to
connect again, I get the same message. NCU preferences on the Mac are set
to listen for the Newton on AppleTalk. The problem has remained when
connecting the Newton using DHCP and also when using a fixed IP address
given to me by the network guys. If I revert to my LocalTalk set up, the
connection from Newton to Mac is successful.

What am I doing wrong? My attempt to get a successful ethernet connection
at work is a prelude to setting up a home ethernet network so I can connect
my Newton to my new iMac. All suggestions welcome.

Chris Browne
Auckland, New Zealand
irie@attglobal.net

about us at some time. Find out why at: