Re: NTLK Does AirPort card work with PCMCIA?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 00:17:59 EST

On 2/22/2000 8:16 PM, markr13 [mailto:markr13@voicenet.com] wrote:

>No!! The card is only for machines that are designed to be AirPort
>capable such as the iBook, iMac, and G4. As has been bantered about on
>the list, someone would have to take an EtherWave card (Lucent) and muck
>about with drivers to make it work. Don't buy this as a solution for the
>Newton!

Actually, hat's "WaveLAN", not "EtherWave".

WaveLAN is the name Lucent gives it's 802.11 wireless networking cards.
These cards work in PowerBooks such as my 1998 G3 Series to communicate
with the Apple AirPort base station, as well as many other types of
computers, including desktop ones. (There's reportedly a WaveLAN Silver
PCMCIA card inside the Apple AirPort base station).

EtherWave is the daisy-chainable Ethernet cabling from Farallon (sort of
like LocalTalk or Phonenet cabling, but for Ethernet instead of
high-speed serial).

  - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com