Re: NTLK eMate comments wanted...

From: Adrian Carter (adi@cix.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 05:48:27 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Marco Mailand <Marco.Mailand@psi.ch>
To: NTLK <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>
Sent: 22 February 2000 10:16
Subject: NTLK eMate comments wanted...

> ...for the following things:
>
> 1. Is the eMate kbd like the Newton kbd? (key size, feeling of the keys,
> material, etc.)
> 2. Does the eMate have backlight and how does it compare with the MP2k?
> 3. Does it have 2 PC card slots? (...or does anybody know an URL to a
> good eMate site/manuals?)

I got an eMate for my girlfriend about a year ago. The keyboard is pretty
much the same size as the Newton keyboard and is perfectly useable even for
people like me with large fingers. The keys themselves have a slightly more
"rubberised" feel to them. However the general design like the machine
itself is very rugged. I find the keyboard easy to use over long periods.

The screen is pretty much like the 2000 for size and the backlight equally
as powerfully. I'm not sure on this matter but I believe the resolution
isn't quite as good on the eMate but I could be wrong on the matter. If
someone could clear this up it would be much appreciated.

The eMate has one PCMCIA slot but it doesn't handle all the same memory
cards as the 2000 series. I use a Pretec 16Meg card which I believe is 12v.
The eMate can read the card fine but I believe it can only write to the 5v
cards. Once again if someone more knowledgeable can confirm this...

As a whole the eMate is a decent machine while it only has one PCMCIA slot
it does possess two serial ports, one of them is of the "dongle"
interconnect type while the other is of the other standard Newton type.

There are other differences between the eMate and the 2x000 series of
machines. The eMate uses a slower processor and as a 2100 user the
difference is noticable. Also the onboard memory is considerably less which
is something I have found to be a touch annoying at times. However I believe
a lot of these cuts were made in the design due to the machine being aimed
at the education market where cheaper prices were needed initially.

Incidentally is there anybody out there who still supplies the internal
memory upgrade for the eMate that does business with people in the UK. I
would probably be interested in upgrading my girlfriend's machine at some
point.

Thanks

Adi

about us at some time. Find out why at: