Re: NTLK eMate comments wanted...

From: ken (slave1@cyberway.com.sg)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 13:44:57 EST

Hi!!

> ....for the following things:
>
> 1. Is the eMate kbd like the Newton kbd? (key size, feeling of the keys,
> material, etc.)

Not a chance(thank goodness)!! I got an eMate way before I managed to get
hold of my current MP2k and PB G3, and in terms of feel, I think that the
eMate had the best keyboard around, of these 3 units anyway. Silent and
tactile, you'll be pleased with it I'm sure. If I remember correctly, its a
little smaller than my PB, think they should be at least the same size as
the newt KB, if not slightly larger..
The newton kb, on the other hand, requires much more in terms of finger
pressure to get the keys in. And it make a heck of a clicking racket!! :-)
I'm glad that I've got the kb to input text in a hurry, but its not exactly
the greatest thing that Apple ever made...

> 2. Does the eMate have backlight and how does it compare with the MP2k?
Yes.
As bright I guess? Well, the eMate's screen is larger than the MP2x00
series, so working on it is great.

> 3. Does it have 2 PC card slots? (...or does anybody know an URL to a
> good eMate site/manuals?)

Hmmm, it has one. It also has the same port as the MP2K, now whats that
called, the flat end which requires us to use the adapter/dongle? However,
it also has the serial port, so you do not need to use the dongle to hook it
up with a Mac/PC. However, due to a sliding door, you can only use one port
at a time.
Note that the eMate uses 5/5v memory cards, not 5/12v.

All things considered, the eMate is a great little machine. Light weight,
way cool, and, if you fit the Newer upgrade, fast enough to do most of what
the MP2k can do. Its tough as well!! You can hold it by the screen without
fear of it coming apart..
The stylus was a little dinky though...nasty plastic job..

Have fun with it!!

cheers
ken

about us at some time. Find out why at: