Re: NTLK Newton Questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 12:38:36 EST

newtontalk@darkproductions.com wrote:

> I owned an MP100 and an MP120. I loved them, but eventually quit
> using them mainly due to the (lack of) speed and bad synchronization.
> I recently got a HandSpring Visor through work, and this brought back
> a flood of memories. The problem is that the Palm device can't do
> what I remember.
>
> So, I bought a MP2100 (upgraded MP2000). Now, this is more like it.
> This is a really nice machine. It may be larger than the Palm and
> WinCE devices, but it is larger in functionality and elegance too.
>
> As I started looking around, I couldn't help but be thrilled to see
> the Newton Community still holding on in fairly large numbers with
> pride in these wonderful devices.
>
> Anyway, I have a few questions:
> 1. I am trying to sync with NCU 1.0 with my PowerBook 1400. I am
> having difficulty getting it to finish-it appears to freeze or stall
> on the 1400. When it did work, it took a LONG time-it reminds me
> what frustrated me before. What can I do to improve the process?

Check that you gave NCU enough memory. You should at least give it 8MB or RAM to
backup your internal memory only. Now, if you also have a flash ram card, of,
say 16MB, then you would need to give NCU at least 20MB of RAM. 4 MB for the
program to run plus the amount of memory on your Newton you're trying to backup.

If you have problems, I would suggest that you remove any card before trying a
backup. Then, if it works, go to the backup folder, usually in your NCU folder,
look for a file that has your name as its name (if you're the owner of the
Newton). Move that file somewhere else (create a folder in the Backup folder,
name it "Previous Backup", and put the backup file in there). Then, try another
backup with your card in and see if it works.

I usually keep all info and only essential packages on my internal memory. All
other packages and non-essential info are kept on my 16MB card. So now, when I
do a backup, I remove the card, since there is really nothing to backup on it.
That cuts the backup time a lot and improve your chance of succeeding.

There are 2 things you need to know: first, incremental backups have proved to
be flakey, specially when you need them. That's why I suggested you move your
successful backup file out of the backup folder, so that when you try to perform
another backup, it will be a full one, not an incremental one. The downsize of
this is that you can't select what is backed up. As a default, everything is
backed up. This includes all packages and info. So, since I have all the
packages on my Mac, there is no need to backup my flash ram card and waiste more
time and space, and a bit of frusttration sometime...

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com