[NTLK] Serial connector parts for 2100?

andy at wolfsong.com andy at wolfsong.com
Wed Oct 31 11:13:57 EDT 2018

    	Thanks for the development schematic link and the conversation!
I was also thinking about the possibility of 3D printing an alternate connector. Certainly more precise than my (failed) styrene tests from eons ago. Seems like it could work with the right amount of finesse. Though as was said, it’d probably end up costing more than buying one for $100.
One incentive for my question is that my connectors have gone missing and I’ve been going wireless.  That’s not a bad thing, but having a hard connection as a backup would ease my mind a tad. I was hoping for an alternative to enabling the $100 seller price for a connector.  Oh well!
Thanks!

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 2:16 PM -0500, "Jake Bordens" <jake at allaboutjake.com> wrote:

Not really.  The PCB "tongue" is on the Newton-side. The contacts in the connector are springs that press against the PCB "tongue" inside the Newton's connector.

On 10/30/18, 11:13 AM, "newtontalk-bounces at newtontalk.net on behalf of Grant Hutchinson"  wrote:

    > On Oct 30, 2018, at 4:54 AM, Jake Bordens  wrote:
    >
    > I have wondered if a 3D printed housing could be made that accepted the pins from some other similar connector.  With high resolution 3D printing it should be easy to make the non-conductive part of the connector.  It's just figuring out a reliable way of doing the metal contacts.

    Could the component with the metal contacts be created through some sort of thin-layer PCB process and then wrapped with a 3D-printed housing?

    g.

    Grant Hutchinson
    NewtonTalk List Dad & Interweb Custodian

    http://newtontalk.net/
    http://twitter.com/newtontalk