[NTLK] Off Topic: Macintosh SE/30 - to buy or not to buy?

Chris Browder kcfoxie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:10:03 EDT 2012

Hi!

I have a Mac Classic that I'd be willing to part with for $5 plus the
shipping... it works, and I can preload at a minimum the Newton Package
Installer, Newton backup utility, and perhaps (if it'll decompress this
time) newton connection utilities.

I also have two Mac SEs (lacking hard drives); but without hard disks they
are likely of little use to you.

You need special extensions (PC Exchange) to get System 7 to read PC 1.4MB
Floppies; and even then you may need a resource fork editor to make .pkg
files be recognized by the mac's finder -- this is 1980/90s tech, things
were no where nearly as "clean and automatic" as they are today.

I have an eMate and I used a serial connection on my 7200 to load up the
Newton Print Pack to test out a Citizen NoteBook Printer II I'm selling on
eBay (it worked, but apparently, only for text... images were hit or miss).

If you're really "in the market" what I'd suggest is: an ethernet-capable
or upgraded Mac (LC III, most PowerPC systems) so that it can more easily
talk to your networked hardware. From here, you can download software -- if
not from the web directly, download files to another system and use a
webserver app on that machine (I only deal with macs and linux, web hosting
is built in) to serve the files to the older Mac.

I have a Performa 637CD that has Netscape 3.0, Fetch 3.3 and Stuffit
Expander 5.5 on it for the purpose of getting newton files and loading them
on my MessagePad/eMate.

Any other questions, just ask ...