[NTLK] Trying to get Vista, NCU, and Virtual Box to play together

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 17:28:38 EST 2011

On Feb 12, 2011, at 12:01 PM, Dan wrote:

> Hello All,
> Well I recently have been working trying to get the Virtual Box (free
> and open source) emulator working with NCU.  The set up is as follows:
>
> -Main OS (host) system running Vista 64
> -Keyspan USB to serial adapter and drivers installed into vista and
> working as far as I can tell.  All diagnostics says it is working,
> but I
> don't have another serial device that will work with vista (due to
> lack
> of drivers for 64 bit)
> -Virutal box emulator installed
> -Windows2000 installed and running in Virtual Box
> -NCU installed in windows2000 instance
>
> Now I have managed to get the windows2000 instance to see the serial
> port, however the newton won't connect.  I tried several different
> speeds and settings.  Although I haven't tried slowdown as I assume
> that
> would be pointless due to the emulation.  I have heard of others using
> microsoft's Virtual PC, however they charge for the vista and
> windows 7
> versions.  And I would rather do it with open source anyway if I
> can.  I
> feel so close, any suggestions?
>
> -Dan

Hey Dan,

I'm unsure of what is causing the issue, but you could maybe try
setting VBox up to allow Windows 2000 to directly talk to the Keyspan
USB adapter. You would then have to install the Keyspan drivers on the
Windows 2000 VM. From a Windows 7 (64-bit) host I've been able to make
Fedora and Ubuntu guest OS's see my Keyspan USA-28 adapter (the Mac
version which doesn't have any Windows drivers) and test out some of
the applications available for Linux.

Also, soon after Microsoft bought out Connectix and their VirtualPC
software, the PC version was released for free. You can download VPC
2007 from the following link. You may have better luck with it.

  <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

TinyURL: <http://tinyurl.com/39ng3rz>

-Tony