[NTLK] Users in Russia and Ukraine?

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 10:30:51 EST 2010

Sorry, this seems to have bounced back so I¹m trying again.

Recently I¹ve heard that something like 200 Newtons or maybe slightly more
(all 2000s or 2100s AFAIK) were sold into the Ukraine and into Russia at the
end of the Œ90s.  There may have been more before   Is this general
knowledge, and are any of these folks here on NewtonTalk with us?

I¹m fascinated by the possibility that my Newt has ³family² back where I
also have family.  I¹m also mindful of the history of technicians in the old
Soviet Union taking a very ³loose² interpretation of user agreements, and
backward engineering things so they could manufacture spare parts and even
upgrades of computers.

I have a fine picture in my mind of the day I¹m sitting on a train in
Ukraine, or maybe on the Moscow metro using my Newton, and look up to see
someone local also using a Newton.  That will be fun!

So, does anybody know about this?

Shalom.
Christian

            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant