Re: [NTLK] More MacPad Rumors

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 03:31:50 EDT

Par for the course for apple I'm learning! "No, no, no, ok we'll make the product you really want now". Just like they did for the iPod video, jobs totally dogged video on the iPod for years and then they came out with iPod video. I wanted video on my b&w iPod! I just started using apple full time in 2002 so I'm pretty new to how they operate but I'm getting the impression that a product doesn't get by jobs until it makes sense to him, and even if it makes sense to others he "cans it" if he doesn't see the logic in it. Especially after listening to the chapter in the iwoz audio book about how jobs wanted less expansion slots in the apple 2 (then Woz). I'm convinced he's more a pitchman than a visionary, innovator, etc. Other people innovate (and see future tech needs) and he spins it (or slightly modifies it then spins it) and sells product. His short sightedness and inability to see what people want (and are telling him they want, buttons on the iPod shuffle anyone?) still baffles me. Non-user replaceable l
aptop batteries, the macbook air (instead of a netbook) and extreme waits for products people want (iPod video, iphone, Mac mini, Mac tablet, Mac netbook, new Newton etc) are a few that really puzzle me, but hey, I guess magsafe, backlite KB's, keeping apple tv without a tv tuner, exotic case materials, glossy screens, glass multi touch trackpads, sudden motion sensors, and keeping the iphone a locked sandbox (and locked to AT&T) are bigger priorities then listening to what customers actually want. I wish Woz was running stuff. He saw the future of tech before he went all family guy and philanthropic, damn good intentions had to go an ruin everything ;-D
End rant :-)

Joe Reilly