Re: [NTLK] More MacPad Rumors

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue Jul 14 2009 - 01:13:38 EDT

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Dennis B. Swaney<romad@aol.com> wrote:
> Since you didn't give the actual dimensions, I went to the Wind website
> and discovered that they are NOT using the standard diagonal screen
> measurement; instead they are using the width. So I had to find out the
> ratio of length to width. Dividing 1024 by 600 gives a ratio of 1:1.71.

Ok, your post finally spurred me to find the one inch ruler we have in
the house (used by our kids for school). I measured the screen, and it
is 10 inches on the diagonal. The width is somewhere around 9 inches,
so the diagonal is the proper dimension. (And for good measure, I
measured my wife's 7" eeePC, and that's the diagonal for it as well).
Yes, the aspect ratio is longer than 4:3 (I always thought it was 16:9
or 16:10, but never calculated it) So, in the vertical, it is taller.
I actually like the proportions, so that's not a complaint.

Now, to give again what I would like to see, is I would like to see a
screen of just about the same physical size as the MP2K series, but
with a much smaller body. wrapped around it. I would also want it to
offer vertical and horizontal, finger input, and pen input--onscreen
keyboard is nice, but since Apple already owns Rosetta, it would be
short-sighted to leave it out.

But then again, I could be wrong there also. The more I think about a
tablet, the less it appeals to me. I'm sure there are people who would
love one that actually works well, but my lap is a fine enough place
to put my computer. ;-) A tablet, being flat, either has to be held or
propped. It's all of so many factors, that makes me say that I don't
expect Apple to produce a tablet--some of them seem to me to be
physical limitations that just don't go away, regardless of the "tech"
you throw at them. It's the inherent limitations of the form.

Anyway, I'm sure there is somebody here that will be interested in the
CrunchPad. It's user-driven. Here's probably the latest news on it:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/03/crunchpad-the-launch-prototype/

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland