Re: [NTLK] More MacPad Rumors

From: Dennis B. Swaney <romad_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 19:55:12 EDT

Jon Glass wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:44 AM, Dennis B. Swaney<romad@aol.com> wrote:
>> The 10.1" (25.654 cm) diagonal measurement, is that the USABLE part of
>> the screen area or the TOTAL screen area? What are the length and width
>> measurements of the usable screen area?
>>
> Well, on my Wind, there is no border visible. It's right up to the
> plastic border, so I presume the 10.1 is that... It certainly looks it
> eyeballing it.

Since you didn't give the actual dimensions, I went to the Wind website
and discovered that they are NOT using the standard diagonal screen
measurement; instead they are using the width. So I had to find out the
ratio of length to width. Dividing 1024 by 600 gives a ratio of 1:1.71.

Dividing 10.1 by 1.71 gives a screen height of 5.9" so the screen on
your Wind is the same length as a Newton keyboard and about 2" wider.
Based on that, a MacPad that has the same screen ratio as the Newton
will be SMALLER than your Wind screen by about 1"

So what physical size, and what screen ratio do you prefer? How large a
bezel do you want around the screen? The Wind looks like it has 1/8" on
the ends and 1" on the top and bottom.

Now I'm starting to wonder if those rumored 9.7" screens are diagonal or
width measurement.

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney