[NTLK] Einstein on N800 Redux

From: Mr Jonathan Dueck <jonathandueck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 20:16:46 EST

Dear folks,

I'm once again mulling over the idea of building Einstein to run on my Nokia N800, which runs OS 2008 (the latest "Diablo" version of Maemo). This is an attractive idea since my N800 is relatively small, hence I've usually got it with me--and because my N800 can run Unison to sync a set of files with my Mac, which does run Einstein. So, I could run Einstein as a kind of seamlessly synced Newt on my N800 and Mac--tempting, eh? If it works, I'll certainly share observations on how it works with the list.

But, I've got a few questions that I'm hoping other folks can help me out with:

First, last we talked about this on the list, Einstein wasn't building for OS2008. Has anyone successfully built it for OS2008 since?

Second, the big stopper for Einstein with me is the inability (so far) to get documents into and out of it (besides through screen shots). Does anyone know if serial or net functionality, or even a shared clipboard, is in the works for Einstein?

And third, googling brought up a blog entry that claimed that, while Einstein did boot on the N800 (OS2006, I believe), it was too slow to use, taking 30 seconds or so to respond to a pen event. Does anyone know if this has been improved? (Einstein runs great on my Mac, which has a _lot_ more horsepower than my little Nokia beast.)

-Jon