Re: [NTLK] Dear Steve Jobs... (your help is needed)

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat Feb 14 2009 - 02:31:05 EST

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 2:13 AM, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if I'd call my alternative "flattery" though, if only because
> we're likely to end up saying things that are irrelevant to our case of of
> little interest to Steve (or whoever reads it). Terse flattery has a way of

No, it's not really flattery, but I couldn't think of another way to
say it. Real flattery is lies with the intent to deceive. My thought
is to simply state that the Newton was the last product to come out of
Apple that contained Steve Jobs' ideals from the Mac group. While he
may not have been directly involved with the Newton project, it was
infused with the values he created for the Mac, with the Mac team, and
the Newton caught that fever. That is very simple and true. It may
have been the "brainchild" of Sculley, but it was the heart-child of
Steve Jobs. The Newton team was infused with it. So, while Sculley may
have sullied the Newton, and burdened it with a negative legacy, the
true beauty and power of the Newton came from Steve's legacy. At
least, that's how I've always viewed it.

BTW, I will never fault Steve or Apple for killing the Newton, I do
believe that the manner in which it was done was inexcusable.
(Although, bringing out coffee and donuts to Adam Tow and other
protesters when they protested outside the Apple campus was a class
act). Nor do I think that Steve "killed" the Newton to spite Sculley
or whatever silly reasons people give. It was simple economics--Apple
killed a lot of worthy projects at the time--printers and OpenDoc just
to name a couple. Sometimes, an amputation is the only way to save a
life. Brutal though it may be.

BTW, certainly blaming Steve, and accusing him of pettiness is no way
to get what you want.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland