Re: [NTLK] Dear Steve Jobs... (your help is needed)

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 13 2009 - 20:13:51 EST

~~~ On 2009/02/13 23:34, John Broughton at jdbroughton@yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> ... Eventually, probably sooner rather than later,
> we are all going to be forced to migrate to another solution to our individual
> needs that have, to this point, been met by our aging Newton devices.

John, normally I would agree with you, and I'd have begun the migration
process by now. The trouble is, there really isn't another solution to my
individual needs. Of course there are other things that will do *bits* of
what I do on the Newton, and other things that will do other *bits* of what
I do on the Newton, and if I have to put up with that kind of bodge, I guess
I'll just have to do that. But I'd rather not just lay down and surrender
my Newton without a fight.

@ Jon: you are of course right, and the only person so far to get my
point. The only thing we do to a disagreement when we embarrass someone is
make it harder for them to see our perspective. It's not that I don't have
a real problem with Jobs' attitude to the Newton, but that I don't see a
reason to add the new problem of Jobs' attitude to us.

I don't know if I'd call my alternative "flattery" though, if only because
we're likely to end up saying things that are irrelevant to our case of of
little interest to Steve (or whoever reads it). Terse flattery has a way of
sounding even more lame than other kinds of flattery, IMHO. I do think this
thing needs to be as concise as will allow us to communicate what we're
aiming to do and what we need from him and Apple, along with an effective
case for why he should agree.

My 2 (slightly inflated) pence.

Shalom.
Christian