Re: [NTLK] Newton Screen Test - Take 3

From: Frank Lowney <frank.lowney_at_gcsu.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 17:26:25 EST

This seems to be exactly what I was talking about. Can it be
uninstalled after the trial period? I've written them to find out but
this list may be faster.
I had hoped to be able to switch back and forth between keyboards.
This seems to be all or nothing.

On Feb 2, 2009, at 4:19 PM, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:

> rhonda@write-on.org wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:24:23 -0500, Frank Lowney wrote:
>>> Can the Newton keyboard layout be changed? Not the
>>> language but the keyboard layout. Could you implement DVORAK or some
>>> yet-to-be-invented system on Newton?
>>>
>>> What would a stylus-optimized keyboard layout look like? What would
>>> the underlying assumptions be (e.g. hold device in one hand, operate
>>> stylus in the other)?
>>
>> I think it came with styles+ but I can't remember anymore, it's
>> been so
>> long...
>>
>> Anyway, my newton has a "one finger" keyboard layout. The layout is:
>> (best viewed with a fixed width font)
>>
>> z v c h w k
>> f i t a l y
>> <s> n e <sp>
>> g d o r s b
>> q j u m p x
>> < > cap opt
>>
>> where:
>> <s> is shift and is two keys wide
>> <sp> is space and is two keys wide
>> cap is caps lock, 2-wide
>> opt is also 2-wide
>> < and > are the arrows.
>>
>> I haven't worked with it much so I don't know how much faster it is
>> type on. It doesn't have numbers or special characters, which is the
>> main reason I pull out the on-screen keyboard.
>>

> Ah, the FITALY alternate keyboard layout:
>
> http://www.fitaly.com/newton/newtfitaly.htm
>
> --
> Sincerely,
> Dennis B. Swaney
>
> "Windows is a command-line OS with a GUI shell while Mac System 10 is
> ... oh, never mind."

Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
     Senior Director for External Projects
        and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @
Georgia College
     Web Enabled Resources,
     GCSU Library and Instructional Technology Center
     E-Mail: frank.lowney@gcsu.edu -- frank.lowney@me.com
     Professional Pages: http://www.faculty.de.gcsu.edu/~flowney
Voice: (478) 445-5260
NOTICE: Please be advised that I am hearing impaired and communicate
most effectively via e-mail. Follow-up summaries of telephone
conversations by e-mail are most appreciated.