Re: [NTLK] iPhone SDK = Newton Touch?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Sat Mar 15 2008 - 05:09:01 EDT

On 15.03.2008, at 06:02, James Fraser wrote:

> When you say "slower," is it possible to assign a
> percentage to that adjective?
>
> I'm afraid that when you say "bearable," I have this
> vision of you staring at the screen with an expression
> of doleful resignation whilst waiting for the machine
> to produce a result. :D

Well, I have never used an eMate, just my 2100. When writing with HWR,
the time until the word appears seem to be 3 to 4 times longer. When
deleting something, it takes about four seconds for the clouds to
appear. About six seconds from clicking on the Extras folder until it
actually start opening. The opening itself then is fast.

It is just an overall sluggishness that makes regular work sometimes
annoying.

Is there a program out there which can measure performance over a
broad range of tasks?

> Of course, with the expanded screen real estate and
> beautiful blue backlight at your command, I imagine
> that having to be a bit more patient (or even a lot
> more) is still worth it. To paraphrase Tony Kan's
> earlier comment: that's quite a stunning setup you
> have.

Thanks. It's supposed to be white, but the backlight of the Motion is
a bit blue-ish. Maybe I should put an RGB slider set to set an
arbitrary background color ;-)

The - compared to the original 2100 - huge screen resolution is truly
wonderful. Newer Tablets have higher DPI screens, but I really would
discourage buying those. Windows XP, Vista, and Newton OS as well,
were not made for these high resolutions and functional elements
become tiny on the screen, almost impossible to hit (worse: double
click) with a pen or finger.

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/