Re: [NTLK] Differences between 2000 and 2100

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 17:44:28 EDT

There *may* be a difference between *some* 2100s and 2000s. I personally have noticed a distinct difference in the display between my MP2100 with the Apple branded case and my MP2100 with the Newton Technology branded case. This may just be me, but the MP2100 in the Newton Technology branded case seems to have a more "contrasty" screen and is noticably darker when turned off. This "darker" appearance is layers deep within the LCD and not discernable unless you have the two side by side. Unfortunatly, it doesn't convey well in pictures, or I'ld take a picture of the difference. Other than what can most likely be attributed to an anomoly of the production process, the only other difference between the 2000 and the 2100 is the amount of memory the device has. Some on this list have even suggested that the 2000's use of heap is quite poor and that an MP130 better utilizes the limited heap better than the 2000...Having never had an MP130, I can't comment.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
Albert <albotic@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Are there any hardware differences at all from the Newton 2000 and Newton 2100? besides the casing?
I have heard that the screens are a little different. Can anyone verify?

Al*bert (same user, different email..)

Never mind that we just had an incredibly cold winter in North America and huge record snowfalls across the continent. As Al Gore said to a bunch of us the other day, these record cold spells and record snowfalls are actually caused by global warming. To which Jerry York replied, "Jeez then I guess we better stop this global warming before we all f**king freeze to death, eh?"

   - "Fake" Steve Jobs 3/24/08 blog entry