Re: [NTLK] 4,000 Newton modems and a lot of spare time.

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 10:36:47 EST

On 11/28/07, Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG@aafes.com> wrote:
> You know I never thought much of the Newton modem, but let me ask this,
> that had the standard Mac/Newton din connector and powered by a 9 volt
> battery right? And 2400 baud?
>
> Might have been kinda useful though for a laptop I was using last night.

Man, the Newton modem was awesome! It was great for email (Used it for
a couple of years for AOL email), and was the absolutely best fax
modem I ever used. It never disconnected or hung on sending or
receiving a fax. And the fact you could write right on your faxes, and
send them back made the Newton, together with the cig case modem about
the best fax machine you could hope for! In fact, just the other day,
I discovered my own, now-ancient Newton modem, and was wondering if it
was worth setting up my Newton as our fax machine. ;-) Sadly, faxes
aren't so common as they once were...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland