Re: [NTLK] [OT] Carl Sagan Vindication

From: James Grubic <jgrubic_at_bozeman.k12.mt.us>
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 13:45:53 EST

This isn't a rational proof. The probability is small, but when you
multiply it by the very large numbers in the universe you start to see
that there's a very good chance that life exists elsewhere (in whatever
form, intelligence not withstanding).

The theory of Intelligent Design infuriates me. It basically says "well
I can't comprehend the world around me, so a higher being must have
created it." There's no attempt to even investigate or discover answers.
It's lazy, and it's irresponsible.

At the very least, I think the proponents of ID should approach it as
Johannes Kepler did. A deeply religious man, he strived to understand
and explain the workings of "God". This led him to a deeper
understanding of mathematics and astronomy, and led him to abandon
certain theories that couldn't be proven and couldn't be verified with
the available evidence. He came up with new explanations based on the
observal evidence, hence the laws of planetary motion.

James