Re: [NTLK] ARM processor powers iPhone?

From: Niklas Nisbeth <noisetonepause_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 11:39:59 EST

> We have to remember that the ARM processors in our
> newtons are at least 10 years old and aren't getting any younger. ;-)

Yes - but the CPU in my Sony phone is actually the exact same type of
ARM chip as the one in my Newton 2100, albeit at a higher clock
frequency, 220MHz (according to Wikipedia, at least). Which is hardly
surprising! The Newton was cutting edge at the time, hardware-wise, and
now the h/w has moved into mid-range products...

I, personally, would be very surprised if Newtons and iPhones have a
line of code in common - according to an article linked to on
OSNews.com, the iPhone is running a "slimmed down" OS X which is
apparently still half a GB in size... and yet Apple seem to insist on
closing it off to independent developers. The hardware is a hacker's
wet dream, as was remarked, prezactly, yes, it is. Too bad it's made by
Steve Job's Apple...

Steve hates geeks!

/Niklas