Re: [NTLK] Mac Tablet

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 20:11:53 EST

On Jan 9, 2007, at 4:19 PM, James Grubic wrote:

> What I have found really disappointing in the last couple of years is
> that no PDA manufacturer has thought to actually put a mini-laptop
> hard
> drive inside. The closest thing is the LifeDrive with the solid state
> drive in 4GB+ capacities.

AFAIK, the lifedrive has a mechanical drive system. Why would it need
time to spin up if it was solid state? Also, iPaq's and similar
machines that had a PCMCIA jacket were able to use those harddrives,
but battery hunger and access times were disappointing. 8GB solid
state are no big deal anymore these days. Do you need more on a PDA?

> They are going the route of solid state
> devices, but it seems to me that if an iPod with hard drive can work,
> why can't a PDA with a hard drive work?

iPods work, because the data is accessed sequentially 99% of the
time. PDAs need random access and a constantly spinning drive which
directly reflects in battery life.

----
http://robowerk.com/