Re: [NTLK] INTEL MID use Apple Icon

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 06:35:08 EDT

Bear with me if I've got my facts wrong. But many years ago Windows 1.0 came
along almost as a shell program for DOS ie. it was just a pretty front end to an
ugly and relatively difficult user interface. Sure it took a couple of versions
before it became truly popular but the concept I'm trying to communicate is that
someone could build a decent user interface on top of an already existing OS to
provide quite a different and much better user experience.

Aside from intellectual property issues, wouldn't it be technically feasible for
someone to do the same to a modern OS such as Mac OS or Windows Vista? What I
mean is it technically feasible to build a Newton shell with all its gestures
etc that sat on top of those OSes and effectively hid the underlying OS from the
user?

Just a thought.

Tony.

[snip]
Newton OS has
absolutely no possibility of reappearing though there is no reason
why certain UI, storage and power saving ideas could not usefully
inform development.

Still, we wait for someone to understand the unique properties of a
hand-held computer in the 21st Century. Luckily we have one from the
20th.

Actually this is getting annoying in that the solutions the Newt has
to offer are not magic or that hard to understand - how dim can
people be? Even simple plagiarism would be a good start!
[snip]