Re: [NTLK] My Newton Wish List

From: Paul Curtis <MicroSSG_at_Comcast.net>
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 22:54:49 EDT

I've got to add mine to Matt's list...

1. I really wish I could find a reliable source of PCMCIA GPS cards that
work in the 2x00's. For Pete's sake, if J&K can have over 15,000 like new
condition 2x00's in stock then where in the Sam Hill are the GPS's... I
don't want to hear about any of the CF/SD into the adapter solution either,
I want the native solution....

2. A current GPS program, or update the now terminal maintenance/dead GPS
programs so that you could track not only your waypoints and record them,
but to allow the tracking of multiple GPS signals and plot them in
real-time. No, not the big brother thing - I 4wheel and it would've been
nice to have this when someone gets stuck and is in a canyon where the cb
won't reach anyone else. Simply tap the "need assistance" button and
everyone in the party can see where the help is needed. No search parties
required. Further, send this info across the net in real-time for remote
monitoring as well as once the day is over I can log into my Cingular WiFi
and create a hot spot somewhere in nowhere.....

3. Since being forced into a new field and having to deal with a severe loss
of income, my personal venture into funding an ODB II package has slipped
into the future. But man would I love to have a developer write an app to
record ODB information into a table/dbf and to be able to select via radio
buttons what stats to record, but also display in real-time. Would also be
nice to monitor speed, fuel consumption, mass air info, etc.

4. But not least, actually at the top of my list and many of yours as
well... An internal memory bump, a serious bump - like 128 meg or so. But
heck, 16-32 meg would be phenomenal too. I wish Mr. PCB would reconsider
developing this...

5. I think this wish is a newer one... I want a Developers Camp. Yeah, sign
me up! Vegas would be nice for North America trading with say Toronto on
alternate years. Like a super user group, but devoted to mentoring hobby
software developers by our brightest brothers. I've only written in FoxPro
for Dos, hardly a complex language and lacking many of the neat advances of
today, but enough to at least let me comprehend the basics. I would love to
learn how to write apps for the Newton and contribute back to the community.
I'm sure there are those of you out there who have similar feelings. We
could eventually have enough knowledgeable devs to have a more organized and
productive open source group. The Eckharts/Pauls/etc can only haul so much
of the load, let's help them out. Also, I used to work for Merant, the
makers of PVCS and I have some licenses still that we could use to house
source code. PVCS Version Manager and PVCS Tracker, both are web enabled to
allow for such an effort.

I'd like to thank everyone who has made the Newton experience what it is
today, from what it was then. A heartfelt thanks to you all!

Best Regards,

Paul Curtis
Certified Mortgage Planner
Allied Home Mortgage - "You've Got Everything To Gain!"

(517) 775-6666 Cell (Voice Mail)
(517) 327-4200 Office
(517) 327-4300 Office Facsimile

www.GainEverything.com Advanced Online Application