Re: [NTLK] DJ mixing on Newt needed

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 25 2006 - 10:16:03 EDT

On 9/25/06, Dan <dan@dbdigitalweb.com> wrote:

> Yes that Paul's site where the drivers are available. As for 5v only
> cards, I am not sure of that.

Hopefully my comments might be useful - here goes....

I'm not particularly sure what this is in question to...
but regarding a PCMCIA Flash Card, for the eMate it requires a 5v/5v
read/write, IIRC the other Newtons can use a 5v/12v read/write - so if
one were to try them on an eMate they would show up as read only... :(

I've used a SD to CF adapter plugged into a CF to PCMCIA adapter the
cards I've got in my possession all work in the Newton with Paul's ATA
Driver. Of course this also allows me to use CF Cards too. But the
speed and use are not really needed by me as I just use a PCMCIA Flash
Card for all my needs.

  I know that 3v wireless cards could fry
> your newt, but there was a discussion on the list once and the general
> consensus was that 3v cards could be supported however they weren't in
> Heroshi's wireless driver. But I would stick with 5v cards to be safe.
> I seem to remember Paul saying that 3v was supported during that
> discussion I mentioned, but why take the chance (I know I wouldn't).

Regarding the WiFi Card voltages.
Most compatible cards that most people use are of the 5v variety and
this pertains to the WaveLAN 16 bit cards (usually Silver or Gold,
though some have had reported success with the Bronze though I don't
recall which variety the plain or the turbo...) I avoid the Bronze
personally).
In regards to the 3v variety, this was discussed and notated on
Hiroshi's site that he had implemented it in the last beta revision on
his site and it was the DWL-650 and only the original version of the
16
bit Card not the CardBus version - there is also a version listed on the
cards and I believe anything from version A - J are functional...I think
version H is where the CardBus cards started. I've got photos on my Flickr
Account of this card...

As for a PCMCIA reader, nope. The Newton uses a unique storage system
> and only a Newton can read/write to it. If you format the card in a
> Newton it can only be used in a Newt unless you reformat it for
> something else.

The standard pat answer is No, the format is proprietary... as stated
above.
BUT for those with more in depth knowledge I believe there are limited
possibilities but still possible for those select few.
 There are a few with the hardware and software to copy the cards and write
them back to another card of the same capacity (discussed on an old thread)
and then there is also the possibility (maybe) to extract packaged also from
such a backup... this was touched upon but I don't recall if this was ever
done or not...

Yes many have went though the various alternatives and usually end up
> back after a few years (although you took longer than most I think ;)
> Welcome to the group.

Yes, I too am one who left and returned back to rejoin the Newton Fold....
Welcome back Dana!

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung