Re: [NTLK] Troubles with the Wiki

From: Thomas Tempelmann <tempelmann_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 12:06:02 EST

On 3/14/06, Victor Rehorst <victor@newtontalk.net> wrote:
> Thomas Tempelmann wrote:
> > So, I wanted to add some information to the Newton Wiki
> > (http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/)
> >
> > As a good citizen, I tried to log in first. Seeing that my usual
> > userid seems not to be know (I don't remember if I've ever
> > registered), I wanted to register now.
> >
> > But how am I supposed to figure out how to register even?!?
>
> Actually, I believe all you need to do is type a name that doesn't exist yet ;)

Actually, no. It only works if you write a name in the proper format.
But that requirement is hard to understand when you are new to the
wiki - someone new to it does not know that "WikiWord" means that you
need to write your login name as "FirstnameLastname" and not as
"Lastname" or as "Firstname Lastname" or as "mypreferrednickname".

See for yourself. Here's the text from the login page:

  "You may sign in using any WikiWord as a UserId. (ÀÖØöøÿßö etc. may
be used too). The UserId will be used as a link in RecentChanges to
your UserId page, your HomePage. You do not need to enter a password."

And see how many changes are made to the wiki pages without logins.
I'd not be surprised if that's because of this difficulty to figure
out how to create a login.

So, could this text perhaps be improved?

Plus, could there be added a email link or something so that people
can contact an admin?

Victor, are you still the admin? Are there others? I'd offer to be an
additional admin - then I could fix these things myself.

Thomas