Re: [NTLK] Troubles with the Wiki

From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 12:42:26 EST

Thomas Tempelmann wrote:
> Actually, no. It only works if you write a name in the proper format.
> But that requirement is hard to understand when you are new to the
> wiki - someone new to it does not know that "WikiWord" means that you
> need to write your login name as "FirstnameLastname" and not as
> "Lastname" or as "Firstname Lastname" or as "mypreferrednickname".
>
> See for yourself. Here's the text from the login page:
>
> "You may sign in using any WikiWord as a UserId. (ÀÖØöøÿßö etc. may
> be used too). The UserId will be used as a link in RecentChanges to
> your UserId page, your HomePage. You do not need to enter a password."
>
> And see how many changes are made to the wiki pages without logins.
> I'd not be surprised if that's because of this difficulty to figure
> out how to create a login.
>
> So, could this text perhaps be improved?

Sure, I'll work on making it clearer and add some content to the HomePage on
why and how to log in.

It might be good to make it a requirement... some pages do get defaced from
time to time.

> Plus, could there be added a email link or something so that people
> can contact an admin?

I added a link to my page, and added my e-mail address to my page.

--
Victor Rehorst - victor@newtontalk.net - chuma@chuma.org