Re: [NTLK] More future Newton sadness

From: Moe (hugeu2fan_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 06:44:08 PDT

Well, I agreed with most of what you said, except that last statement.
 I wouldn't say PDA-only devices are dinosaurs: just think of how many
people still exist in the world who have yet to use or significantly
use ANY PDA! There's literally millions, if not billions. (Now if
you're referring to something like a Sharp Wizard or those electronic
Rolodexes, then I completely agree). But if you mean a plain PDA as
in no color screen, camera, and so on, that's a different story. The
problem I see with PDAs has always been hungry eyes. The market's
barely tapped yet they keep pushing forward (although some would argue
backward in terms of OS ;-) ). What I've found as the biggest gripe
is input --- Graffiti is too slow, handwriting rec still isn't
amazing, onscreen keyboards are just lame, and the thumbpads aren't
much better. Couple with that the fact that your average user simply
does not want to tote a large external keyboard, or may not have the
space to use it on the go. The companies need to focus on GETTING THE
INFORMATION IN the unit, in a human-friendly and FAST manner. Only
then, should they be doing what they do now: directing a majority of
resources to constantly updating the interface and availability of
software for the unit.

Morris