Re: [NTLK] [OT] Dell to Acquire Apple

From: Norman Palardy (npalardy_at_great-white-software.com)
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 16:11:45 PDT

On Oct 19, 2005, at 12:12 PM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] Dell to Acquire Apple
> From: Norman Palardy <npalardy () great-white-software ! com>
> Date: 2005-10-19 6:13:11

>>> Hard times like what -- producing the most-used productivity suite
>>> for
>>> the Mac, no matter what market share? Or exchanging patents? Or like
>>> the time they bolstered Apple (an OS competitor, mind ye) with plenty
>>> cash as a thanks for Apple pioneering the mass-marketed GUI thing?
>>
>> That cash was a settlement of outstanding patent infringement claims
>> in
>> the form os MS buying non-voting shares (which they subsequently made
>> boatload of money off of as well)
>
> Yeah, just what I'm sayin', pure unmitigated love! Besides that there's
> the continued commitment to MS Office, like I said before. The market
> they serve with that is not so gargantuanly humongously gigantically
> big to really justify that effort. MS has easier streams of revenue
> they can and do tap.

Seriously .. on a per unit sold basis MS makes more money on the Mac
market than anywhere else.

XBox is a big money loser and has been since day 1
MSN loses money

Windows is the "franchise" and THE cash cow
Office makes piles on the Windows OS, but per unit not as much as Mac
Office (nor is it quite as nice)