[NTLK] Half-Hard Reset ::::: was: dead newton

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 19:49:34 PDT

William,

You sparked an interesting thought via the good advice you gave Peter
about resurrecting his power-challenged Australian Newt. Sure do hope
he's got some backup cards for his sake. I loop 10 flash cards through
the gauntlet pretty much on a daily basis, a different card, that is,
each day. You can always get another Newton, but loosing data is no fun.

You speak of performing a hard reset and, of course, loosing data,
during the normal company-line hard reset, which is to be expected.

My thought was what if I did a hard reset all the way up to the point of
seeing the final Fail/safe pop-up window and then just stopped, which I
think may be what you are saying.

It would stand to reason that during the initial phases of a Newton hard
reset that in addition to booting there may be some housekeeping being
done for good measure. I don't know. Or, in fact the wipe is patently
obvious and the original reason for doing so. In either event my
trilogy boils down to the conception of what you state may be of
benefit, as I have coined Half-Hard (and yes, please no don't pass the
banana jokes ;-) reset protocol.

So then, if I am hearing what you are saying there may be a medicinal
effect by doing the above?

Just wondering.
Wondering is good.
Too much wondering may cause cancer ;-)
John

10/16/05 William Pociengel issued the following and I have taken
literary license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?