Re: [NTLK] dead newton? - help!!

From: William Pociengel (hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 17:43:28 PDT

peter davson-galle wrote:
> thanks for the response, when you say 'take some time to restart' do you
> mean keep the button pushed for a long time (i did it for about a count of
> 35) or jsut try many times? (i did it about 4times)
> my technical competence is not up to your last comment. if there might be
> such a problem then what can i do about it? get someone to undo the case
> and replace the capacitor?
> my thanks in advance
no as far as the capacitor(s), that part wasn't for you and should have
been a separate paragraph, I sometimes just kind of write as I think.

---------------------------------

I've had to take my newton through multiple resets, leave it plugged in
for hours, unplug it, repeat etc till it would finally wake up.

try this as it was posted recently. put your battery pack in the freezer
for about 10 (ten) minutes and then plug it back in with the ac power
also supplied. I've never tried it but my understanding of the theory is
that it lets the newton add some charge to the battery.

the whole issue seems to revolve around 2 things (as far as I can figure
out) the newton doesn't like to start without batteries of some type
installed (that are functional). and the capacitor thing (WHICH IS NOT
SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE PUTZING WITH AT THIS TIME) as I mentioned this
part is a theory of mine.

the reason behind the cold battery pack (if you are using replaceable
batteries, which you didn't mention) is that it fakes the newton out
into putting a bit of a charge back into the battery wherby it
eventually gets enough charge to bring the newton back up.

the below comments are not for you....................

anyone else familiar with starting a newton without operational batteries?

Anyone else familiar with what I'm talking about WRT the caps? I'm not
sure how many EE's we have on this list..

ok back to you ......................
have you tried starting the newt with fresh batteries?
have you removed and reinstalled the battery pack?
have you tried the hard reset (but do not answer 'yes' to erase this
Newton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) if you answer yes to the reset you WILL loose ALL
of your data. if you can not see the screen then do not tap anywhere on
it. remove the barries and unplug the power adapter and start over.

I have resurrected a Newton before with the above process, but it
requires getting the newton to 'see' the functional batteries.

--
special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far
along a path that you cannot explain anymore.