Re: [NTLK] Half-Hard Reset ::::: was: dead newton

From: peter davson-galle (P.DavsonGalle_at_utas.edu.au)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 20:21:12 PDT

not directly addressing me i know but the frank file that woody directed me
to seems to have your hardish reset in mind as a prefinal event.

i haven't been backing up as i haven't really been using the newt much for
a while. data loss doesn't concern me. it'd mainly be utility/package etc
loss but i suppose i could get it all back in somehow

i have been seduced by dragon voice input but was going to use the newton
again in synch with dragon as a remote pen input tablet to the pc (given
that i found out that adam tow had written a "write here" add on to do
that. mind you, he hasn't validated it with xp so...)
i was going to buy a tablet pc (motion le1600) but found that its
recogniser engine was a development of the old newton paragrapgh cursive
one and it won't tolerate my block letter capitals input or, at least,
won't auto convert to lower case text with smart capitalisation like the
newt's rosetta/writehere softare will so that idea's on ice ;-((

main thing i wanted from the tablet apart from input via speech was a
decent screen size (i use the newt mainly for writing articles). years ago
before jobs jobbed the newt i was an advocate on
comp.sys.miscellaneous.newt (or whatever) for an a4 newton (called
'newtablet')
sigh

At 10:49 PM 16/10/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>William,
>
>You sparked an interesting thought via the good advice you gave Peter
>about resurrecting his power-challenged Australian Newt. Sure do hope
>he's got some backup cards for his sake. I loop 10 flash cards through
>the gauntlet pretty much on a daily basis, a different card, that is,
>each day. You can always get another Newton, but loosing data is no fun.
>
>You speak of performing a hard reset and, of course, loosing data,
>during the normal company-line hard reset, which is to be expected.
>
>My thought was what if I did a hard reset all the way up to the point of
>seeing the final Fail/safe pop-up window and then just stopped, which I
>think may be what you are saying.
>
>It would stand to reason that during the initial phases of a Newton hard
>reset that in addition to booting there may be some housekeeping being
>done for good measure. I don't know. Or, in fact the wipe is patently
>obvious and the original reason for doing so. In either event my
>trilogy boils down to the conception of what you state may be of
>benefit, as I have coined Half-Hard (and yes, please no don't pass the
>banana jokes ;-) reset protocol.
>
>So then, if I am hearing what you are saying there may be a medicinal
>effect by doing the above?
>
>Just wondering.
>Wondering is good.
>Too much wondering may cause cancer ;-)

then again meta-wondering about wondering hardens the arteries
(sorry, i'm a philosopher by trade)

>John
>

>10/16/05 William Pociengel issued the following and I have taken
>literary license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?
>

> >have you removed and reinstalled the battery pack?
> >have you tried the hard reset (but do not answer 'yes' to erase this
> >Newton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) if you answer yes to the reset you WILL loose ALL
> >of your data. if you can not see the screen then do not tap anywhere on
> >it. remove the barries and unplug the power adapter and start over.
>
>--
>This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
>Official Newton FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
>WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles: http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

Peter Davson-Galle (Mr.)

Faculty of Education
University of Tasmania
Locked Bag 1307, Launceston
Tasmania, 7250
Australia

Phone: (prefix +61 3 international or 03) 6324 3287 (uni)
                6396 6118 (home)
Fax: (+61 3 international or 03) 6324 3048 (uni)

Email: P.DavsonGalle_at_utas.edu.au

Web page:
http://fcms.its.utas.edu.au/educ/educ/pagedetails.asp?lpersonId=1634