Re: [NTLK] Escale, installing Newton Packages...

From: John (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 19:22:36 PST

Wow, long day %-]
Just getting in and I am curious as to what the benefits are of using a
network connection vs. a direct serial cable? Is this a more
straightforward interface, or faster, or more reliable, or needed in a
multi-user environment, or out of necessity ?

I seem to be getting good results just using a serial cable to my Macs
using either NCU in virgin Classic with a stealth serial port, or,
NewTen in OSX 10.2.4. Initially I was having torturous problems just
getting my 2100 to connect at all but Marty was kind and patient enough
(I was driving the poor guy nuts bugging him for help which he so
graciously and wisely shared) to detect a telltale sign I had overlooked
in my new NCU installation which was either the result of a bad OS
install or my unwitting download of the NCU .sit file as non-binary, I
never did know which as after three or four days of penance searching
blindly for the culprit I had enough and got fed up so I just re-
initialized my PowerMac boot drive and did a fresh virgin Classic
install of 9.2.1. I then downloaded the NCU .st file fresh again from
UNNA this time being certain to for the file to download as binary not
txt. Then, the very first time I plugged in the serial cable from my
PowerMac to my 2100, bingo. It's been perfection ever since. Then I
discovered equal stability and reliability on my 10.2.4 box using the
KeySpan USB dongle. Never a lost bit or byte by just using the standard
old serial cable.

So this is why I'm wondering now should I explore further to gain
additional benefit from a networked connection, or would this be for a
special need?

TIA, John

11/9/05 Miro issued the following and I have taken literary license to
pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?