Re: [NTLK] Escale, installing Newton Packages...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 19:58:42 PST

on 09/11/05 22:22, John at OceanCity_at_mac.com wrote:

> Wow, long day %-]
> Just getting in and I am curious as to what the benefits are of using a
> network connection vs. a direct serial cable? Is this a more
> straightforward interface, or faster, or more reliable, or needed in a
> multi-user environment, or out of necessity ?

[snip!]

> So this is why I'm wondering now should I explore further to gain
> additional benefit from a networked connection, or would this be for a
> special need?

Well, with a network connection, you gain a huge speed increase! At best,
you get 57600Kbits per second, while a typical Ethernet connection will be
around 10MBits per second. You can do the math... Of course, for small
packages (less than 100KB), you might not see a big difference, but when
you're backing up a 32MB flash RAM card, the difference is huge!

-Laurent.

GIGO /gi:'goh/ [acronym]: 1. `Garbage In, Garbage Out' -- usually said in
response to lusers who complain that a program didn't "do the right thing"
when given imperfect input or otherwise mistreated in some way. Also
commonly used to describe failures in human decision making due to faulty,
incomplete, or imprecise data. 2. `Garbage In, Gospel Out': this more recent
expansion is a sardonic comment on the tendency human beings have to put
excessive trust in `computerized' data.