Re: [NTLK] Is Newton Press "Classic Format" OK for 2x00 and eMates?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun May 22 2005 - 22:24:20 PDT

RAParker wrote:
> I'll be releasing the final (distributable) version of the U.S. Army
> Field Manual (Reading Maps & Land Navigation) later this weekend.
> First, I will have to finish replacing some graphics that are
> (apparently) too big for an eBook (they show up blank).

Oh? I saw all the graphics. Sometimes I had to go ahead one page to
see them, but I didn't have any problems.

> I have a couple of questions:
>
> Has anyone (with a 2100 or eMate) downloaded it and taken a look at it?
>
> Will the "Classic Format" also work on all Newtons?

Yes I did download it and put it on my emate. It worked fine and I saw
all the text (a little bit of the edge of the "window box" is chopped
off but all text is visible). I don't know about the 2100 as I didn't
try that (landscape anyway), but It will be fine in portrait mode I am
sure. As a matter of fact I use classic for everything myself, and
prefer it. Basically classic will work on all Newtons. Although you
may not be able to view classic on a 2x00 in landscape mode. It may be
ok and just chop a little bit of the "window box" but as I have not
tested it, I can't be certain.

> I went with the Classic format over Universal because it was wider and
> allowed better formatting of tables. I could take some time in the
> future and massage the formatting into other formats, unless it's not
> necessary.

Well I would stick with classic actually, and prefer it.

Regarding DJ's comments, "auto fit" he just means a scroller is on the
screen (looks like a little compass with a button at N S E and W) so you
can scroll around a image that is larger than the screen.

As for 12pt font size. Yes that might be nice, a larger font is usually
a nice addition. I use 12pt for all of my books. And usually make them
bold on top of that for easier reading. Of course with a book of this
type it may not fit well.

As for grayscale, I don't think it is practical with a book of this
size. Instead of the PKG being 3mb it could easily be 6mb or LARGER!
Grayscale takes up a LOT more room storage wise. And this book is
already very large. Very nice, but very large also. If you do go
grayscale, I would suggest breaking the book up into several sections
(different PKG's) so that people don't need to install the entire book
if they don't have the storage. Actually I would suggest doing that
with any book larger than 1mb PKG. Another benefit is that it is easier
to install. Sometimes larger packages can give some people problems
when installing. So another reason to break it down.

Also another problem with grayscale...it is hard to get Press to do it
properly. Or at least I have a lot of problems with getting good
results, even if I preformat them then dump them to press. The best
quality I have found with doing 16 grayscale is not to go through press
but preconvert them then import them using X-port. But then again I am
using the windows version of Press. But for those having problems with
the windows version of Press and 16 grayscale, I suggest lowering your
computer screen color resolution to 256 colors. Press seems to do
better when converting then. It is still not as good as using X-port,
but I can get "ok" results.

Anyway regardless I think the book is great and you did a great job with
it. I certainly don't have any real complaints. Would be nice if the
book was split into a few packages but not necessary at this point. Now
IF you did grayscale images, then you would definitely NEED to split the
book into several packages. Again I think you did a great job.

I also wanted to say that I also prefer my 120 and 130 for reading books
a lot of the time. Which is another reason I do my books in classic so
I can read it in my 1x0 or 2x00 units. Whatever is handy at time (or I
feel like doing).

-Dan