Re: [NTLK] Is Newton Press "Classic Format" OK for 2x00 and eMates?

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 09:22:30 PDT

On May 22, 2005, at 10:24 PM, Dan wrote:
>> First, I will have to finish replacing some graphics that are
>> (apparently) too big for an eBook (they show up blank).
> Oh? I saw all the graphics. Sometimes I had to go ahead one page to
> see them,

Actually, this might be a design feature you're referring to. Because
the majority of graphics are larger than the Newton's display, I
formatted each one with a page break before the graphic. The 'linked'
box describing the figure, will be on the prior page. Tapping on the
Description Box will advance to the next page and show the graphic.

** It's at this moment you should always see the graphic **

> but I didn't have any problems.

Try Appendix F Figures F9 (b-i) and tell me what you see. When you tap
the linked description box, you should advance to the next page and
immediately see Figure F9-a (no problem here). Now, tap the Next Page
arrow and you should see either the problem or the graphic. If the page
is blank with only the scroll arrows available, this is what I'm
fixing. If you see the graphic without having to tap anything, then the
eMate (2x00) can do much better at handling large graphics within an
eBook.

> Yes I did download it and put it on my emate. It worked fine and I saw
> all the text (a little bit of the edge of the "window box" is chopped
> off but all text is visible).

That's not too bad...good to know.

> Basically classic will work on all Newtons.

Good.

> Well I would stick with classic actually, and prefer it.
>
> As for 12pt font size. Yes that might be nice, a larger font is
> usually
> a nice addition. I use 12pt for all of my books.
> And usually make them
> bold on top of that for easier reading. Of course with a book of this
> type it may not fit well.

Ooooh yeeaah...too much detail. With the Classic version, I will have
to stick with 10 pt.

> If you do go grayscale, I would suggest breaking the book up into
> several sections
> (different PKG's) so that people don't need to install the entire book
> if they don't have the storage.

This is actually a pretty good idea. After the big books are released,
I may break the book into two parts. Also, I could make one eBook with
the text, and a separate eBook with your choice of high quality
grayscale or space saving bit maps...yeah...yeah...that just may be
nifty.

Question: Can you have 2 eBooks open at the same time and easily switch
between them? hmmm...

> I have found with doing 16 grayscale is not to go through press
> but preconvert them then import them

I would make the same recommendation with all graphics. (Being a proud,
registered owner of lemkesoft's Graphic Converter) I've found doing all
the conversions first, gives better control over the final result.

Thanks for the tips and info!

Ron

--
Sent using Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog lives!
--
    |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET