Re: [NTLK] Losing the date and Mic (now Powerbooks)

From: Zoont Foomby (zoontf_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 03:30:58 PDT

I can't install Tiger on my Lombard??? Dammit. I was excited to upgrade.

I watch eBay for Lombard stuff all the time. My Lombard would probably
fetch $250-$500 dollars depending on the day. A battery alone is worth
over $100. They haven't changed their eBay value much in the last year
since I got mine (free from a friend - boo-yeah!). I don't watch
Wallstreets, but I can imagine that they are in the lower end of the
Lombard price spectrum. Pismos are slightly higher than Lombards.

I love my Lombard. Love it dearly. I wish there was a significant CPU
boost one could give it, but the best out there is hardly worth it
(550mhz I think) for the money. Lombards, Wallstreets, and Pismos, I
believe (definitely Lombards) do not have hardware accelerated OpenGL
under OS X because of their crap video cards. So not only are they
sorta slow to run OS X to begin with, but the graphics fun they try to
have with OS X slows them down even more. My Lombard 333 is still very
useable under OS X however.

Its ironic that OS X requires so much horsepower - NeXTStep and
OpenStep for Intel were blazing fast on my 486pc a while ago, and
absolutely smoke on PII-350. I know the graphics engine is new and
improved, but the slow-down is still amazing to me. My NeXTStation
boots up faster than my Lombard, that's for sure.

Oh well.

My Lombard is a great tool for working with my Newton. Awesome book for the=
 job.

--=20
The more succinct your sig,
the more you grok the net.