Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Sat May 07 2005 - 01:31:37 PDT

Was:

>Subject: Re: [NTLK] NewtNAV update

Is now:

######################################

>From: "Newton" <newton () spymac ! com>
>Date: 2005-05-05 18:28:01
>
>> been established (still looking for the magic Init string that will
>> open the gates of joy for GPS Map as GPS listener),
>
>I had several problems to solve, regarding sending the init string from
>within GPSmap to the GPS receiver. First of all receiving of data of
the GPS
>receiver on the Newton worked fine but sending not.

How can I check if the Newton is able to send anything at all to the
receiver?

(Adriano, when you built the NewtNav, did you also connect the uplink
pins?)

>I had to fall back to a
>PEECEE with the good old Kermit program to sucessfully send data to
the GPS.
>It was very likely due to some disadvantages of my serial connection
between
>Newton and GPS, may be that Macintosh compatible interface is only one
way
>just for my GPS receiver, because sending from a Mac failed too.

I wonder if this may be the case here, too... but what really irritates
me is that I had given my receiver to Adriano so he could build the
NewtNav, and when *he* tested it, *he* got a position fix, just from
plugging in, starting GPS Map Lite and waiting, all with the default
settings!

Didn't work this way for me on my Newton... I see data coming in in
NewTerm, and in TeleType GPS's monitor (unitl that app chokes on too
much communication), but GPS Map -- stable, stoic, non-impressed.

I really want to be able to do this completely from the Newton w/o any
external hardware involved. Any additional pointers appreciated.

(Plan B is to hook up to a PC and follow the procedure described here
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/AQ-300 . But for this I
need the C3001 PS/2(M)-to-USB(M) adapter the manufacturer offers, which
will take a while to reach me...)

>However, with a sequence of the following strings I finally succeeded:
>
>1. disable all strings (7 are anyway to much and redundant!)
>$PRWIILOG,???,V,,,#0D#0A

Thanks for your command strings! I have tried them and didn't have any
success (yet).

About this first command: This is very good -- shut down all sentences,
just what I've been looking for! But is PRWIILOG correct? Shouldn't
that be PRWILOG, like in steps 2 & 3? (I've tried both spelling -- no
difference noticed.)

Also the only place I could find anything about this topic in GPS Map
documentation was in the V2.0 supplement Manual, where Gerd uses
$PRWIINIT to start his commands... (didn't work for me)
And as for NMEA, Klaus Betke gives a completes different syntax (with
which I didn't have any success, either): $CCGPQ,GGA<CR><LF>
(all linked off http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSMap )

>2. enable GGA string, each 2 sec, containing UTC, LAT, N/S, LON, E/W,
>quality, No. of Sat., HDOP, ALT, Unit, GEOID_SEP, Unit, DGPS_AGE,
STA_ID,
>CRC, CRLF
>$PRWILOG,GGA,A,T,2,0#0D#0A

Okay, didn't work for me...

>3. enable RMC string, each 2 sec, containing some of the data from GGA
but
>Speed, Heading, Date and the magnetic variations
>$PRWILOG,RMC,A,T,2,0#0D#0A

...neither did this. -- Why RMC, why not VTG instead (to use GGS and
VTG has been recommended by Gerd Staudenmaier)?

>Those strings might be specific for the Rockwell chipset

Possibly. Could the "R" in PRWILOG stand for Rockwell? Could that be
substituted by "S" for SiRF?

>and its necessary
>to verify with the manual for your specific GPS receiver.

The AQ-300 manual expects configuration via desktop PC using
SiRFdemo.exe, and only provides instructions for how to do that, but no
commands.

>Without the RMC
>string the GPSmap program will not show speed and direction and
without GGA
>sting the time and No. of satellites will be missing.

Hmh, so why would Gerd then recommend omitting RMC in favour of VTG?

>Marco

Is this Mr. Marco M. from the Alps? If so: Pleased to read you, I've
been trying to get in touch! Finally two or three days ago your friend
Johannes from the North Sea coast gave me a new mail address and asked
me to give you his regards, but I didn't have time to write yet. Pls.
check the Wiki-pages on GPS which I have compiled from various sources
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/GPSOnNewton, I have quoted
you a couple times -- hope that's okay with you and I have not
misquoted anything.

Also I would be very grateful if you could leave a short write-up of
your receiver on the Wiki, incl. power consumption (I'm trying to
compile a list of equipment and their power consumption at
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/PowerConsumption to make
choosing energy-efficient components easier).

Thanks for your support,

'Kasko